Role of a Captain
Are you ready for the top job in yachting? If anything goes wrong onboard, the buck stops with you. As captain, you are responsible for the total operation of the yacht including safety of the guests, crew, yacht and environment. You are responsible for the conduct of the crew as well as the total enjoyment of all guests onboard. And, of course, you are the navigator.
Private and charter yacht captains bond with the crew on a friendly basis while still maintaining their respect as the superior. You keep financial records, make and meet budgets, plan itineraries and reservations in marinas, and have a list of contacts around the globe for parts and services that may be needed to maintain the yacht.
A captain works very closely with the owners and guests, and has a comprehensive understanding of their needs.
Requirements for Yacht Captain Positions
The minimum qualifications for a yacht captain position include:
- 3-5 years experience as a Mate
- License depending on the tonnage of the yacht. Some owners and insurance companies may require more than is actually required by law.
- At 37 South Limited, a 500-ton ticket is the minimum license usually required
- A proven record of navigation
- Management skills
- Exceptional communication and service skills
- Inventory control
- Basic accounting skills
- Computer literate
Please note that we do not accept applicants without current marine experience for a Captain"s position